Tuesday, December 4, 2012

Vintage Post: Trial and Error (Additional curl rod tips)

Recently, I did my first hair tutorial on rodding short hair. (It will be featured on curlynikki.com tomorrow!)  In hindsight, I realized that I did not take enough pictures.  To supplement my previous post, I am providing some additional pictures and tips. 


About two weeks ago, at 10:30 at night, I rushed a rod set. Every time a rod fell out, I just replaced it with a curler.  It only took 45 minutes, but the curls were too loose so they only lasted three days. My curls normally last about a week. 


This is how my hair looked the second time around.  I didn't look bad, but I learned my lesson.


After learning my lesson, I took my time this weekend. I first pre-pooed with extra-virgin coconut oil. I left it in for about 30 minutes under my self-heating conditioning cap. I then washed and conditioned my hair as usual.

I first tackled the back and sides of my hair, since they are shorter and more difficult to do. Last time, it took about 2 hours to set my rollers, this time only 1 hour and 15 minutes.  Practice makes perfect.  This time around, I used Organic Root Stimulator Lock & Twist Gel. It helped my short hair stick to the roller and provided great hold.  I also used it to twist the short hairs at the nape of my neck.  I highly recommend moisturizing your hair with shea butter and oil prior to applying the gel when you work on each curl. I didn't. When I took out my curls, they were crispy. To fix the problem, I applied African Royale Hot Six Oil and put on my conditioning cap again. Problem Solved.

I separated each curl into about 4 or more curls. Last time, I said three or more. I lied.  The more you separate the curls, the bigger they will be.  

I hope that provided some further explanation. Please let me know if you have any questions.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...