Tuesday, December 4, 2012

Vintage Post: Standards of Beauty


Who defines our standards of beauty?


How often do we (especially us ladies) let those standards define us?

According to the standards of beauty, thin is better than thick; straight hair is better than nappy curly; blonde is better than brunette; lighter skin is better than dark (unless it is a tan); big boobs are better than small boobs, etc. etc. Who came up with this crap and why do we fall for it? It is no wonder that women are susceptible to disorders like depression and bulimia/anorexia!

As I’ve grown older, I’ve discovered my true beauty. Quite honestly, I didn’t think I was beautiful during my teenage years. (Who does?) I was the scrawny girl with buck teeth, a flat chest, and nappy thick hair. It was difficult to see my true beauty when I was constantly chastised for my awkward experience. By college, I blossomed. I fixed my exterior. I gained some weight, straightened my teeth, fell in love with my small but perky boobs, and tamed my thick hair.

As I approach the age of 28, I’m transitioning to setting my own standards of beauty. I don’t want to love myself in spite of my flaws; I want to love myself because of them. Or at least what society deems as flaws. I want to pursue what I see as beautiful.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...