Thursday, December 27, 2012

Health and Fitness



My most recent pregnancy was high risk.  Not only was I at risk for early labor, but I was also diagnosed with gestational diabetes.  Diabetes doesn't run in my family and I am in pretty good health, yet there I was pricking myself everyday to check my glucose.  (That placenta. I tell ya.   It can interfere with insulin. In my case, it gave me diabetes.)  If you know anything about gestational diabetes, you probably know that it puts you at a higher risk to develop Type II diabetes later on in life.  And although I don't have any other risk factors, I am forever scared straight.  Juice? No thanks. Candy? In moderation. Carbs? Brown please.  That is my life now, because diabetes is just not for me.

In addition to healthy eating, it is also important to exercise to reduce the risk of Type II Diabetes.  Remember, when I said I was at risk for early labor? Well, I was banned from exercise to keep my bun in the oven.  My last pregnancy, I exercised throughout my pregnancy.  This time. Nada. Zilch. Nothing.  So although this time around I gained 20 pounds instead of 30 pounds, my journey to my fit self seems a little bit harder.
I[f you wait for perfect conditions picture]

As many women trying to get back to optimum health, I have excuses. Although as the mom of newborn and a toddler, they are pretty valid.  Lack of sleep. Long days.  Crying babies.  Valid, right?  But at the same time, there is the saying that if you wait for the optimal conditions... it may never happen. So I don't beat myself up, but I try to do what I can until my youngest child is a little more predictable and my body feels a little bit more normal. (It took about 6 months for me to feel normal again when I had my first child.)

Here is what I do, to make it though:
  • Make it a habit. Period.  If being unhealthy is your current habit, then make being healthy your new habit. It takes 28 days to start a new habit. Start today. 
  • I eat well.. for the most part.  If I put good in, then I'm not adding on more pounds. I view food as fuel.  
  • Eat protein snacks throughout the day.  Eating protein helps you keep full, and fights the cravings for unhealthy snacks.  It also helps your metabolism to eat every 2-3 hours.
  • I drink water.  Sodas and soft drinks are easy ways to add calories to your diet.  Cut them out and give your body what it needs... water.
  • I do high intensity workouts in short intervals to maximize my workout.  If you are short on time, then the key is to work multiple body parts, with fewer breaks. I'm currently doing the Jillian Michaels, "Ripped in 30".  She urges you to give it all you have for that 25 minutes.  You will thank yourself later.
  • Ask yourself if it is worth it. Before I eat junk food, I ask myself if I'm going to kick myself later and say that it wasn't worth the calories. Is my mouth watering just thinking about it, I eat it. If not, then I find a healthier option to satiate my appetite.
I have a lot at stake. My health.  Aesthetically, I have to lose about 5 pounds with some toning and shaping. But I have so much more to gain by following a healthier lifestyle.

What tips do you have for fitting in healthier habits into your busy day?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...