Wednesday, December 5, 2012

Vintage Post: How I Straighten My Hair

DISCLAIMER: Please note that you must be careful when you straighten your hair.  To avoid heat damage, pay attention to how YOUR hair reacts to heat. Always use a heat protectant.  Try lower heat first then work your way up to determine the optimum heat temperature.  Also make sure that you don't use a blow dryer that is more than 1875 watts.  Abuse of any hairstyle, whether it is heat styling, wigs, weaves, braids, wash and gos, or headbands can be damaging.  So pay attention to your hair. Adjust your routine when you notice signs of damage.

TIPS:
- I am a big advocate of tourmaline ionic heat styling tools.  The negative ions smooth the hair cuticle, dries your hair faster, locks in moisture, and reduces heat damage. I have been using tourmaline ionic blow dryers and flat irons for almost two years. I switched to a tourmaline ionic blow dryer after I fried off my hair with a faulty blow dryer. My hair grew back in 10 months. My hair dresser was surprised by my lack of split ends.
-Use a HEAT PROTECTANT!  Whether it is grapeseed oil, CHI silk infusion, or IC Straightening Serum (my product of choice), please protect your tresses.
-Don't run the flat iron over your hair 50-million times.  Once or twice should be suffice.

PRODUCTS USED:
Avalon Organics Peppermint Oil Shampoo
Organic Root Stimulator Replenishing Conditioner
Aphogee Protein Leave-in Conditioner
Giovanni Direct Leave-In Conditioner
African Royale Hot Six Oil
IC Straightening Serum
Isoplus Contitioning Gel (when I curled hair the next day)
Andis Professional Tourmaline Ionic Blow Dryer (only about $40)
Titanium Tools Flat Iron
Revlon Ceramic Curling Iron

STEPS:

-Wash, deep condition, and detangle hair.  Put in your leave-in conditioners and oils.



-Put a reasonable amount of heat protectant in your hand, rub together hands, and apply.  Blow-dry detangled hair.  I use a blow-dryer comb attachment.  Before I blow dry each section, I use my shower comb to detangle again.

I originally blow dried my hair to braid cornrowed extensions. Fail!  I need to put in kinky twists.  But check out my little twists. I'm going ot have the cutest twist-out when I grow some hair.


Flat iron hair in small sections.  For each section, only use heat protectant spanning about a centimeter. If it is not getting straight enough, divide your hair into slightly smaller sections.  (Rather than run the flat iron on your hair too many times.)



If I were going out, I would immediately curl my hair. Since I was going to bed, I wrapped my hair. The next morning I curled it.



To maintain my hairstyle:
-Avoid water-based hair products, otherwise it will revert.  I used oil and shea butter to seal in the moisture and maintain my hair style.
-Resist the urge to flat iron mid-week.  If your hair starts to revert, work with it.  Consider pin-curls, a braid out, or putting in rollers.
-Avoid really hot showers; they are not good for your skin anyway.  When you take a shower, consider using multiple hair wraps and shower cap. 



Anyone else have any advice?

2 comments:

  1. I'm not sure why, but I thought that your hair would be long pressed. Beautiful hair though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Laila,

    My hair is much longer than this. This was when I first went natural. I'll have to do an updated post. I just straightened my hair yesterday. There is a pic on the instagram feed on the right.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...