Wednesday, December 5, 2012

Vintage Post: Bentonite Clay &Twist-out


If you can recall, I originally wanted to try a henna treatment.  But I recently learned that there are alternatives to henna, with similar results.  After much deliberation, I recognized that a messy, all-day henna treatment was probably not a sustainable hair treatment for an expectant mother.

Benefits of Bentonite Clay:
  • Removes dirt, debri, and buildup from hair; draws excess oils to the surface (also great for skin)
  • Defines/Enhances curl pattern
  • Imparts shine
  • Improves detangling
  • Nutrients nourish hair
    • Mineral Content:
      • Silica- 61.4%
      • Aluminum- 18.1%
      • Iron- 3.5%
      • Sodium- 2.3%
      • Magnesium- 1.7%
      • Calcium- 0.04%
      • Titanium- 0.02%
      • Potassium- 0.01%
      • Moisture- 7.8%
      • pH - 8.3 - 9.1   (I mixed it with Apple Cider Vineger, which should bring down the ph.  Hair products should have a ph of 5.5 -7. But I'm not kimmaytube. I don't test the ph of my products.  So don't take my word for it.)
Tips:
  • Don't use metal utensils (It draws impurities from metals; the warning is located on the container)
  • It should be gray
  • Can be purchased from health food stores like Whole Foods, Trader Joes, and Vitamin Shoppe. (I purchased mine at Vitamin Shoppe)
  • Be careful trying to open container in store to check the color....you may end up with powder all over your black coat like I did.
  • Don't let it harden on your hair!  Leave in for 20-30 minutes. If you forget about it and leave it in longer, have fun taking it out. Don't worry. I only left it in for 25 minutes.

This is my hair after reverting and co-washing my hair.

I guesstimated a mixture of bentonite clay and apple cider vinegar.  The result should be a yogurt consistency.  Some people use water, oils and/or conditioners in their mix. I decided to keep it simple.


Clay on my hair. How flattering...


Rinsed out and Conditioned.


Flat twists in the front, regular two-strand twists in the back.  Flat twisting gives me pregnancy carpal tunnel.  So no more flat twists until I pop this baby out.


Twist-out results the next day.

Favorite twist-out products:
1. Shea moisture
2. Coconut oil, shea butter, aloe vera gel
3. Bee Mine Curly Butter
*Always seal ends with shea butter

*Thus far, I am pleased with the results.  All of the stated benefits were achieved.  I'm sold :-) I plan on doing this treatment once a month. I will keep you updated on the long-term results.

Need a video tutorial?

Check out BlackOnyx.

Has anyone else tried bentonite clay? What did you think?  Does anyone else have any henna alternatives?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...