Saturday, December 1, 2012

Vintage Post: Standards of Beauty - Nappy Like Me

An old school pic of me taking my lil sis to a high school dance.  We both rodded our hair.  I styled her hair into a cute coif.

I was a teenager when I was first introduced to the book, "Black Like Me" by John Howard Griffin. I was watching an episode of "Boy Meets World" [don't act like you didn't watch it too], when Mr. Feeney presented the book in class. The book is the chronicle of a white male journalist who took anti-vitiligo drugs to live as a black man for six weeks in the segregated south. I was intrigued by the storyline and immediately ventured to the bookstore. [If you've never read it, I strongly recommend that you add it to your summer reading list.]

The lesson learned from this book is that you never truly understand a person’s story until you walk a day in their shoes. You hear the “inside” conversations of their peer group and internalize how “outsiders” [you or others who look like you] treat them.

A few years ago, I had a “Nappy Like Me” experience, while attending a conference for an organization that works to improve college access for inner-city youths. As you can imagine, there were many pro-active, intelligent young professionals in attendance. At the time, I was on one of my anti-relaxer (no chemical straightening) bouts. For months, I was growing out my natural hair so I tightly rodded my hair [a much tighter curl than above].

While conversing with a young man (with a short, curly afro) he stated, “It’s great to see black women who appreciate their natural hair. Women with relaxers and weaves lack self-confidence and are uncomfortable with who they are.” What/! Is he talking about me? I lack self-confidence? Is that how “naturals” view me?

TO BE CONTINUED… (I embark on my natural journey…AGAIN)

In the meantime...have you ever wondered how other social groups view you? Have you ever wanted to be an insider to get the “real” scoop?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...